25 April 2009

New Project: Tell Me of Kentucky

Now that my thesis is officially bound, and I've read at Elkin Isaac (a student symposium at Albion College where students share their research and creative works) I have yearned to write but felt lost without a larger project to work within.

I think I have figured out the next project. For Elkin Isaac I had my grandmother and Dr. Judy Lockyer meet for lunch (my mother and I were there, but we were kind of a sidebar). My grandmother loves talking about Kentucky, where she was born and grew up. She especially loves talking about it to people who know what she's talking about and as Judy is from Kentucky, she understood much of what my grandmother spoke about.

For my next project I'm going to interview my grandmother and other relatives about Kentucky. I'm also going to read about every author or book that I can that's about Kentucky or coal country. Then I'll write poems about what I hear. I think that this will be satisfying.

I will be posting first and early, working drafts in this blog. I'm sure updates will follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment